Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Zig-Zags and Thanking A Vet--or 2 :)

Remember the zig-zag border I wanted to put on my 5 Hexies top? Well, it didn't happen.


This is the effect I was hoping to achieve . . . 


. . . and this is what I ended up doing. So much better!


It took some playing around with lots of 2" hsts but it was well worth the effort. 


The border is Windham's Attic Heirlooms by Pat Speth c. 1845 #24161. Thank you, Susan, for these great fabrics!


I filled in the empty spaces with little hexie flowers.



After I finished making this one I realized I had three (3!) pieces going in the wrong direction so had to rip out and do over. That's not the first time something like this has happened :)


These are two of my favorite books for chintz quilt inspiration. I'm working on another top but I'll show it to you when it's together. 

_____


This Veteran's Day I'd like to thank my husband, Ben (2nd from L), for his service in the U.S. Army. He went through the ROTC program at the University of Idaho and reported for duty May 1961 as a 2nd Lt. At that time, he was the Leonia (NJ) Community Center director and a substitute teacher at the high school where I was a senior. Someone at the school (not me, lol!) started a petition to delay his call to duty as the kids in town didn't want him to leave but the U.S. Army said he had to report so off he went :) He was stationed at Fort Benning, GA, where he was assigned to the General's Staff and Special Events. He had orders for Vietnam but back surgery prevented him from going. This photo was taken Dec. 10, 1962. 

 

I'd also like to thank his dad, Ben, a career Marine who served in Korea and Vietnam. His final resting place is Holy Sepulcher Cemetery, Orange, CA.

Please remember to thank a Veteran this Saturday :)

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


 

8 comments:

  1. I like to thank vets even when it's not Veterans Day. Sometimes it surprises them but they always seem to appreciate it.
    Your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned beautifully with this border !
    In France, no Veterans Day...I hope one day, this idea will grow up in politics minds... Beautiful tribute to your father...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a big shout out to all our veterns! I do like your pieced border choice. The lay out of the hst's seem to draw the eye into the center. The addition of the little rosettes fills in the center perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mind has been on Vets lately, too, as we continue to slog through Ken Burns Vietnam War series (taped). Thank you for reminding us we must always honor them.

    Your hexie quilt turned out lovely, and your border solution is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, that is a perfect border solution! And, I adore that Pat Speth fabric. I wish I had 100 yards! I thank your husband and your father in law as well. My father was more proud of his service to this country than any other single accomplishment in his life. We are the lucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a loving and well deserved tribute to your husband.
    Love seeing those photos.
    Your border with the hst is fabulous - I just love how it looks.
    Wonderful quilt - and that border print is swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love that quilt border. Thank you Ben (and his father) for their service to our country!

    ReplyDelete